Public Information Request
The Texas Public Information Act (PIA) provides a mechanism for the public to inspect or copy governmental records. A requestor may ask to review records, obtain copies, or both. A governmental entity is not required to create records, conduct legal research, or answer questions. The Public Information Act is triggered when a person submits a written request. The governmental entity must respond within 10 (ten) business days, with one or more of the following:
- provide responsive information pertinent to the request;
- advise the request is being processed and will take longer than the 10 business days to produce;
- advise there is no responsive information;
- advise the request needs clarification;
- provide a cost estimate if the request will exceed $40; or
- advise the responsive information will not be released and an Attorney General Ruling has been requested.